About the Museum
This stately mansion was once the home of Chicago Tribune editor and publisher Robert R. McCormick (1880-1955).
Robert R. McCormick’s grandfather, Joseph Medill, built the house in 1896 for McCormick’s mother Katherine. McCormick acquired the house around 1910 and extensively remodeled it in 1936. Upon his death, McCormick’s will established the Robert R. McCormick Charitable Trust, known today as the McCormick Foundation, which created a public park, museum, and philanthropy to foster communities of educated, informed and engaged citizens. The museum opened to the public in 1958.