Go on a bug hunt, listen for bird calls, and make discoveries in the gardens with one of our Discovery Backpacks.
Backpacks are available, at no charge, for up to three hours of use during your park visit April-October. Backpacks are geared for use by families with children in preschool – 5th grade.
Borrow this backpack and discover bug facts, check out real bugs with the bug viewers, get a “bug’s eye” view of the park and learn how to tell a bug from an insect.
Birds of a Feather
Use binoculars to look for birds with the Cantigny Field Guide, measure your wingspan and flapping rate, play bird BINGO, read a story and more!
In the Garden
Learn about petals, pollen, perennials and more.Enjoy a story, play nature BINGO and draw in your take home garden journal.
Additional Packs for Youth Groups
We offer packs just for Scout/Youth Groups. Click the links to visit scout pages. These packs are only available to Nationally recognized youth groups.
Fees, Reservations and Time Limits
- All Family Discovery Backpacks are free of charge and available on a first-come, first served basis.
- Checkout a pack for up to three hours.
- Pick up a pack from the Visitors Center Information Desk, beginning at 9:00 am.
- Advance reservations are not accepted.
- A valid driver’s license is required as a deposit at check-out time and a usage agreement must be signed.
- Discovery Backpacks must be returned in their original condition after the three hour ‘rental’ period.
- Discovery Backpacks loaned out after 2 pm, may only have 1-2 hours of usage depending on when the Backpack was checked out. (All Backpacks must be returned by 5 pm).